Other than because everyone keeps asking for support for their favorite mechanism. ;-)

BTW, I entered a patch for ZOOKEEPER-268 just now. Turns out that the jute code was catching the NPE and outputting it to the screen, then eating it. So the "infinite" loop really is just each packet is being output to the log, causing this NPE to be printed to the console every time (looks like get data response). Anyway, I've fixed the underlying problem that was causing the NPE and submitted as a patch along with a test that verifies. Thanks for the report.

Patrick

Kevin Burton wrote:
protocol buffers are nice... the variable int stuff is cool.....
Though is the protocol very complicated?  Why not write a custom hand
written Externalizable format?

These frameworks are often more trouble than they're worth for small
protocols.

Kevin