I have seen this when I was over-loading our zookeeper instance.  When total
data or total number of files gets large, the system can wind up in GC
almost permanently.  Zookeeper being Zookeeper, it does an amazing job of
keeping on, but eventually things go bad.

To test if this is your problem, you can do a couple of things.

- first, figure out how many files you have and how much space they take

- second, review how much memory you gave ZK to start.  It looks from what
you show here that you didn't give it much memory.

- third, turn on verbose GC and see what that says.

- fourth, write back and tell me why I was wrong with this guess so that we
all get smarter!

--
Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve