Ted, could you elaborate a bit more on this? I was under the (mis)
impression that each ZK server in an ensemble only needed connectivity
to another member in the ensemble, not to each member in the ensemble.
It sounds like you are saying the latter is true.

Could you explain the idea behind the Observers feature, what this
concept is supposed to address, and how it applies to the WAN
configuration problem
in particular?
"""
The ideas for federating ZK or allowing observers would likely do what
you
want.  I can imagine that an observer would only care that it can see
it's
local peers and one of the observers would be elected to get updates
(and
thus would care about the central service).
"""
This certainly sounds like exactly what I want...Was this introduced in
3.2 in full, or only partially?

Here, do you mean the servers will log warnings untill all the ensemble
members are visible to each other?
"""
Any servers that see a minority of the other servers will go tharn until
the
"partition" is healed.  That isn't what you want (at all).
"""

Given that 3.2 has a serious bug, I've recommended that we proceed with
our deploy based 3.1.1. For this version, it sounds like we will have to
open up connectivity from each zk server to each zk server, across the
various zones in the WAN. Is this correct?

-Todd