HI Josh,
  The server latency does seem huge. What os and hardware are you running it
on? What is usage model of zookeeper? How much memory are you allocating to
the server?
The debug well exacerbate the problem.
A dedicated disk means the following:
Zookeeper has snapshots and transaction logs. The datadir is the directory
that stores the transaction logs. Its highly recommended that this directory
be on a separate disk that isnt being used by any other process. The
snapshots can sit on a disk that is being used by the OS and can be shared.

Also, Pat ran some tests for serve lantecies at:

http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/ZooKeeper/ServiceLatencyOverview

You can take a look at that as well and see what the expected performance
should be for your workload.

Thanks
mahadev