I think automating this assignment has been discussed in the past. IIRC,
some combination of MAC address and pid or timestamp would be sufficient to
uniquely identify a ZK instance. There may be some detail I'm forgetting
about maintaining the ID between process restarts, making these ephemeral
values unacceptable.

Cheers,
-Nick