when you run configure what does it say for pthreads?

My cygwin says this:

checking for pthread_mutex_lock in -lpthread... yes

Do you have pthreads libs in /usr/lib?

I see:

$ ls /usr/lib/*pth*
/usr/lib/libpthread.a*

You could also try running configure and the build, capture all the output and attach as a gzip'd file (or create a jira and attach there if you like). Should help to get to the bottom of the issue.

Patrick