On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 12:26 AM, Henry Robinson <he...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Hi Travis -
>
> Great to see zkpython getting used. I'm glad you're finding the problems
> with the documentation - please do file JIRAs with anything you'd like to
> see improved (and I know there's a lot to improve with zkpython).

Yeah I was pretty excited to see the python bindings. Thanks!

The best place for help I was able to find is ``help(zookeeper)`` --
is there somewhere else I should be looking instead? It looks like you
wrapped the c client, so I also have been looking in zookeeper.h and
trying to infer what's going on.

> You are using the asynchronous form of get_children. This means that
> ZooKeeper can send you two notifications. The first is called when the
> get_children call completes. The second is the watcher and is called when
> the children of the watched node change. You can omit the watcher if you
> don't need it, or alternatively use the synchronous form which is written
> get_children. This call doesn't return until the operation is complete, so
> you don't need to worry about a callback.

Ok sounds like that general structure will work then. Thanks for verifying.

> The first argument to any watcher or callback is the handle of the client
> that placed the callback. Not the return code! We pass that in so that it's
> easy to make further ZK calls because the handle is readily available. The
> second argument for a callback is the return code, and that  can be mapped
> to a string via zerror(rc) if needed (but as you have found, there are
> numeric return code constants in the module that have readable symbolic
> names).

Aah first argument is the handle! That makes sense.

> Does this help at all? Let me know if you have any follow on questions.

Very much so! If I cleanup the sample code below would you want to put
this on a wiki or check in as an example? Would have been nice if
someone already figured this out when I started messing with things :)

--travis