Guys, I'm weeping... we're actually talking to each other. :-)

Martin

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 18:26:22 -0000, Florent Guillaume <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

yuppie wrote:
Hi Rob!
  Rob Miller wrote:

those of us planning out the next Plone releases are in a bit of a bind. we really want to make use of GenericSetup's newer Z3-interface-based means of defining import and export handlers, so that we can start work on rewriting our migration engine to use XML import and export, and so we can keep up w/ CMF 2.0 as it moves forward.
 [...]

to this end, it would be very useful for us to have a 1.5-compatible version of CMF that makes use of the newer Generic/CMFSetup semantics. this would allow us to use the new site creation code (which we've nearly completed) in our next release without breaking backwards compatibility with the existing add-on products. this would also make it easier to keep up w/ CMF trunk development w/o having to maintain two radically different branches of Plone. CMF 2.X would be required, of course, with the subsequent release.

how do folks feel about this? (note that we, i.e. the plone developers, are willing to do the work.) would you be willing to have an additional 1.5 release, or perhaps a 1.6 release, which includes these changes? our current tentative release schedule has a Plone alpha in late december, beta in february, release some time in march.
CMF 1.5 is Zope 2.7 compatible. A Zope 2.7 compatible version of GenericSetup would be a lot of work and it would loose the new semantics because they depend on Five features. But if Plone 2.2 requires Zope 2.8 it should be easy to use CMF 1.5 with GenericSetup 2.0 instead of CMFSetup 1.5. Except for the CMF specific handlers that should work out of the box. A CMF 1.6 release that requires Zope 2.8 and essentially bundles CMF 1.5 with GenericSetup 2.0 (and compatible CMF setup handlers) might be a good idea.

Hm seen in that light, I also have a need for a CMF 1.6 that drops support for Zope 2.7. The reason are the recent changes I proposed to support Five 1.2, which need super() to work properly. So it needs Zope 2.8.

GenericSetup is still a moving target. I would not create a branch for 1.6 before 2.0 has stabilized.

+1 on branching CMF 1.6 soon, with the goal of:
   - dropping support for Zope 2.7
- allowing Five 1.2 events activated to work, even if it doesn't *require* Five 1.2 events
   - be closer to CMF 2.0 w.r.t. setup.

Florent

--
(muted)