Tres Seaver wrote:

yuppie wrote:

Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
On 5 Apr 2007, at 16:07, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
Previously Tres Seaver wrote:
There may be a better solution in place already on the branch we worked
on at the BBQ Sprint:

svn+ssh://svn.zope.org/repos/main/GenericSetup/branches/tseaver-bbq_sprint

That branch includes Rob Miller's work to land the "upgrade steps"
feature from the CPS extensions the GenericSetup, along with an
improvied "base vs. extension" UI.
But that code doesn't improve the non-purging mode. The changes Wichert proposed make sense with or without the 'upgrade steps' feature.

If we had the upgrade machinery in place, we could scrap non-purging
mode altogether -- its purpose is to allow for "controlled" application
of changes to existing configuration without full replacement.
Wichert's rationale was specifically:

The particular reason I'm interested in this is that for Plone we are
playing with using GenricSetup profiles as part of the migration code.
This means we can write a lot less python code but just write changes
as profile snippets.

Since CMF 2.1 is in beta I don't expect it to land in 2.1 anymore, or is
that a wrong assumption?
Well, first of all it needs to move from the GenericSetup branch to the GenericSetup trunk I'd think. If there is a new beta and a consensus that it's not a problem (meaning more core CMF developers comment on it) we can put it into CMF 2.1.
CMF 2.1 beta has some serious site manager issues. Please let's focus on resolving these issues first.

I'm really just lobbying to have the GS work tested and merged.  Fixing
ths LSM stuff is in the hands of a different set of folks, I think.
Rob, how did stuff go at Sorrento?

i made some progress on this, but i didn't finish the work... i ended up doing quite a bit of multitasking. i'm hoping to finish it up and get it all committed over the course of this week.

-r