yuppie wrote:
Wichert Akkerman wrote:
Previously yuppie wrote:
Until recently, the Products themselves didn't use setuptools. Revision 85287 (http://svn.zope.org/?rev=85287&view=rev) changed that. It is no longer possible to run CMF without setuptools installed.

For those of you who didn't read the changeset, I used the version number parsing code from setuptools in order to sort the versions inside the upgrade machinery. I didn't want to duplicate the code to parse all those cryptic version numbers like '3.1-rc1-dev-r42' and sort them correctly. My reasoning for reusing the setuptools functions was, that we seem to use them for package versions as well since some time and they seem to be a reasonable standard.

Considering that entire python community
appears to be moving to egg, Zope2 is going to be distributed in egg
form (at least there is a strong move in that direction) I think a
dependency on setuptools is not problematic.

I guess CMF 2.2 will be released before Zope2 or Python requires setuptools, so at least for now it is a GenericSetup/CMF dependency.

http://svn.zope.org/CMF/trunk/ still exists and needs to be maintained (or deleted). Who ever added the setuptools dependency should update INSTALL.txt and friends (if we agree to keep CMF trunk and the dependency).

I don't have a strong opinion on CMF/trunk. I don't use it, so I don't have a particular interest in keeping it around. For me the dependencies noted in setup.py are the canonical place and I would delete the DEPENDENCIES.txt files from all packages on trunk and instead make sure the ones in setup.py are current.

If we can agree on that, I can do the work and make sure INSTALL.txt is current as well.

Hanno