> > I guess what I'm saying is that for a version 2.x.y, x should behave
> > as you describe while y should go up as often as a bug is discovered
> > and fixed...
>
> That means we either waste a lot more time doing releases, or the
> releases become a lot more shoddy, hardly more than a snapshot from
> CVS.  Neither sounds attractive, sorry.

Right. So what we really should do instead, is this
http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0251.html

The important parts, imho:

* "Small bug fixes and changes will occur up until the first beta release."

* "A week before every alpha, beta or other release, we forked off a branch
which became the release.  Changes to the branch are limited to the release
manager and his designated 'bots."

Thats really the current problem. Changes happening just before the release.

--

  /Magnus