Shane Hathaway wrote:

On the filesystem, the problem seems much more difficult, since there are no transactions. You'd like the kernel to send Zope a message anytime someone modifies a file in a certain hierarchy, but that would require kernel hacking.
FWIW, since I had the same problem some time ago (which could be solved in another way),
I dug out an url, which might be of interest - probably you already know about it:

FAM, used by the two major open source desktop envs:

http://oss.sgi.com/projects/fam/

It may at least help to make the whole problem more os independend.
They have a lot of related pointers on their homepage.

Btw. windows (>=nt IIRC) already has the capability to notify on directory alteration events, without polling.

cheers,
oliver