On 02/07/2003 02:16 PM, Paul Winkler wrote:
On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 10:32:44AM -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

If there is any interest in a framework that could provide the underlying
functionality to multiple UI front-ends, as well as automated stuff like
alerts/monitoring, I would certainly be interested in using and contributing
to development of such a beast.

Oooh! Oooh! One more: build in a window with a python prompt
that connects straight in to a ZEO debugging session (
(possibly remotely).
Okay, I added some features to the mockup:

http://hathaway.freezope.org/Images/controller_snapshot2.png

Now the right-hand panel is a scrolling window with expand buttons to the left of each process being monitored. That way, this little GUI can scale up to monitoring large clusters or many independent Zopes. I also added a "debug" button to one of the ZEO clients, which would open a Python prompt in a window.

I imagine that the interface to the backend would be a TCP connection with simple text commands and asynchronous replies. Using TCP this way makes it possible to use either a local connection or SSH to connect to the server being monitored.

As for PyQT vs. wxPython, either one is fine. I also lean toward wxPython, partly because its license is simple.

Shane