I've got a fairly major memory leak in my application. I've followed the thread from August including Shane's suggestions about using a debug build of Python to inspect object references and the rest [1]

I know from the refcounts in Zope that items of class Foo are definitely leaking, yet when I do a sys.getobjects(0, Foo) I get nothing back. Navigating all 100000-ish references one by one seems a bit daunting. So I'm not sure where to go from here.

Shane, you mentioned you had put together some useful functions for exploring this debug information - could you share them? Or were you just refering to the remote console you supplied earlier?

Also, what kinds of Python code can cause memory leaks? I'm not really sure what I should be looking for. The only thing I can think of is hanging file descriptors, as circular references should be picked up by the gc anyway.

Seb

[1] http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-dev/2003-August/020358.html