Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
Jim Fulton wrote:

The first question is:

Is it a problem to have two packages with names differing only in case?

I don't see a problem at all; IIRC, we agreed that the backports from Zope3 would live in a 'src' directory, while Zope 2 stuff continues to live in 'lib/python'. No case problem therefore, since they would be in different directories.

As I mentioned in my note, Python allows us to have two packages whos names differ only by case. I also noted that this requires adding an additional directory to the path. This isn't a big deal. I think it's an annoyance.

I haven't gotten as many responses on this as I expected. I'll try to summarize
so far:

- Chris feels strongly that this is a problem

- I've been swayed by Chris' response from neutral to thinking that this
  is a problem.

- Tres seems not to think this is a problem, but I'm not sure.

- Fred doesn't seem to think this is a problem.

- I can't tell from Robert's and Stephans responses whether they think this
is a problem or not.

Perhaps we can get more input on whether there's a problem.

A response with a positive sign (e.g. +1, +0, +2, ...) indicates
agreement that this is a probelm. :)

-2

Wow. That's a strong opinion that there's no problem :)

especially since:

I can see why it might be embarrassing having to document two package names that only differ by case. For newbies, it might even be confusing

This sounds like an argument for there being a problem.

I guess your large negative vote is a vote against the alternatives...
fair enough.

Jim