Mark Hammond wrote:

I propose:
We insist the child process can be created and continues to run for x
seconds (where x~5).

I recommend against this strategy. It's too implicit and has bitten us on Unix in the past. The problem with the strategy if the program starts very fast and then dies, we don't restart it even though we should. Similarly, if the program starts very slowly, we don't recognize a startup failure and keep retrying even though we shouldn't.

Is there some sort of IPC that can be used here?  On Unix, we use a reserved
exit code to indicate a startup failure and arrange for Zope to exit with that.

On another note, I'd really prefer to work out a general facility that
can be used with any Python program, including both Zope 2 and Zope 3.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Python Powered!
CTO (540) 361-1714 http://www.python.org