Due to the fact that this is a feature and the code provides no unit
test infrastructure (and I don't have the time to start doing that for
the error log) I'd like to know what the general rule for Zope 2 is, If
I want to make improvements to existing code that isn't covered by unit
tests at all.

That's an interesting question. What is the unit test policy if I change/improve a part of the Zope code that has no unit tests at all. Would I be expected to create unit tests for the whole thing all of a sudden?

I'm interested in seeing this patch in the core myself.

jens