Brian Lloyd wrote:
  - It is a pain to do anything with SOAP because the
    publisher has a hard-coded idea that anything xml must
    be xml-rpc

This would be minimally disruptive to the Zope core, while enabling
people interested in SOAP to evolve different solutions without
everybody having to buy into a particular approach or implementation
right now.

+1

I think these ideas are great, but wasn't it also you who said,
"Unfortunately, though, this misfeature has  been around for a long time
and would break a lot of people if the default were changed."  I think
getting this changed might be met with some amount of resistance.  If
we're voting ;-) I vote for biting the bullet and making the change
today.

John Ziniti