Tres Seaver wrote:
Zope makes *heavy* use of urllib.quote (quoting each element of the path
in 'absolute_url', for instance), which makes it a particularly
interesting speedup for us.

Indeed, what would be the reasons for NOT including it?
How should we go about measuring the speed difference this makes?

I'm attaching the speed test and the patch, for consideration by the
Zope development community:  if this is enough of a win, we might
consider including a patched urllib in Zope2/Zope3 (or monkey-patching
urllib.quote).

FWIW, I'd favour a monkey patch of ulrlib.quote, pending inclusion of the patch into the Python source tree, which is something we should all be fighting for ;-)

cheers,

Chris

           - http://www.simplistix.co.uk