On 18 Dec 2005, at 09:40, Stefan H. Holek wrote:

"make install" does currently not work on 2.9 branch and trunk. I am told that this is because "zpkg cannot do it". I am also told that the tarball would support make install, just not the checkout. I never use tarballs, so I don't know for sure.

I'd very much like to see the canonical "./configure; make; make install" continue to work as it did in 2.7 and 2.8. Sysadmins go crazy if Zope's installation procedure changes with every other release.

Yes, I'm also severely frustrated by this change. Not just sysadmins go crazy, it seems like a change without any good reason whatsoever.

I believe having it simplified to "./configure; make; make install" has eliminated a ton of whining from the mailing lists from people who (rightfully so) found the previous "wo_pcgi.py" buildout odd. We're risking a lot of confusion and bad feelings again if "./ configure; make; make install" does not work as expected.

jens