Andreas Jung wrote:
during the latest 'zope.publisher' thread on zope-dev I came up with
the proposal to eggify the Zope core for the Zope 2.12 release. I would like to start a discussion about the pros and cons, risks and advantages of any eggification effort.

Chris favors a 'big' Zope egg with some dependencies (like ZODB) stripped out.

I have pretty much done this already. [1] defines an egg called 'Zope2'. All the Zope 3 eggs are dependencies, as are a few "non-core" packages such as ExtensionClass, Acquisition, etc. (which are already eggified and available on PyPI).

I also started a branch of the Plone egg back then to see if it can be modified to install Zope 2 completely as a dependency. See [2].

I would prefer a more broader approach. One of the reasons are
company-internals modifications to the Zope core. Right now we maintain a more or less heavy modified version of Zope 2.8 in our
repos (making Zope upgrades pretty hard). A better modularization
would help  us here. Another example:
the Plone people maintained a Zope 2.10 branch with experimental ZODB
blob support. With an eggified version of ZODB you could easily
switch the eggs (easily spoken).

I feel indifferent to this in general, so feel free to split away more stuff from my 'Zope2' egg.

So before promoting the eggification as an ultimate goal, let's discuss what we really need and want. A complete eggification just for the sake of eggs is possibly not the goal :-)

[1] http://svn.zope.org/Zope2.buildout

[2] http://svn.plone.org/svn/plone/dist/Plone/branches/philikon-buildoutify