On Aug 31, 2005, at 10:46 AM, Stephan Richter wrote:

On Wednesday 31 August 2005 10:05, Julien Anguenot wrote:

Don't forget that IE will then have an insane tendency to render the
pages wrong. I don't recall all of the details, but it was something
like if the document began with <?xml ?> IE would switch to "quirks
mode" and do funny things with boxes, margins, and the overall layout.
The details are in this list's archives (if they aren't it's in the
zope@zope.org list archives).

(not that I'm a fan of IE, but I do recall that being a problem for
some people)

Having IE full of bugs is not a reason to not support standards such as the xml processing instruction (which makes a document *not* XML valid
if it's not present on top of the document)

We'll think about buggy browsers in a second step ;)

If there is an IE issue it needs to be addressed and a solution be found before any action can be taken. IE still has the majority market share and we
cannot be ignorant about it.

+1

Gary