Jim Fulton wrote:

On Sep 22, 2006, at 1:31 PM, Stephan Richter wrote:

On Friday 22 September 2006 12:52, Martijn Faassen wrote:
I hope we can move to a pattern where projects gain a homepage somewhere
on zope.org, including doctests and some other information, and the
cheeseshop is used for everything else (pointing to the homepage on
zope.org with the 'url' field in setup.py).

Yep, me too. Sigh, I have to get to work again on the software site.

It could be argued that, given existing tools like pypi and launchpad, that we should focus on other things.

+1 on reusing common infrastructure that's open to a broader Python community.

Something that really disturbs me about the current setup info is
that the meta data lives in a Python call and not in a text file
that makes it very hard for other software to extract.

Well, with eggs, the meta data ends up in files that can be extracted. You can always run setup to generate this information if you don't have an egg yet.

Right. Or in old-skool distutils world, you can use a setup.cfg file: http://docs.python.org/dist/setup-config.html