On Sep 29, 2006, at 10:03 AM, Jim Fulton wrote:

Tres Seaver wrote:
The change from 2.4 to 2.5 is *massively* disruptive for a framework
like Zope: much more so than any change since 2.2, I think (maybe even 2.0/2.1). The hardest bit is the change to the way the compiler works:
 RestrictedPython is completely incompatible with the new AST-based
strategy.

Yup.  Also, everything I've tried (I haven't tried much) has had test
breakage. Most of this is probably shallow, but it will take some time to
sort it all out.

As we move toward splitting things up into eggs, people can help out by
getting things working on an egg-by-egg basis.

I think buildbot makes supporting Zope 3 on py2.4 and py2.5 reasonable, and a first step to making Zope 2 support py2.5. I like the idea of dividing things up also, to help the constraints (for instance, I don't know if anyone is going to have the time and energy to move the zodbcode module forward to py2.5).

I glanced through some of the problems today. Most of them didn't seem too bad, and I have RestrictedPython foo (and interest/need) to help there on the Zope 3 side. However,

../bin/python2.5 test.py -m persistent and ../bin/python2.5 test.py - m ZODB

both result in numerous errors culminating in segfaults, at least on my AMD A64. (BTree has a bunch of errors too, but no segfault). These might be relatively shallow too, but superficially they seem scary.

Gary