Paul Winkler wrote:
Is this a bug in Philipp's article or in the testrunner?

I noticed the same thing when I wrote my zopewiki page
(http://zopewiki.org/TestLayersHowTo)
but it looks like new-style classes should work now,
judging by this svn log message:

"""
r68925 | Zen | 2006-06-30 07:49:37 -0400 (Fri, 30 Jun 2006) | 3 lines

Fix ordering of testSetUp and testTearDown calls, and allow new style
classes
to be used as Layers by explicitly ignoring the object baseclass.
"""

Yes indeed...

Also, at the time I wrote that page (in July), I wasn't aware of
zope/testing/testrunner-layers-api.txt
which would've saved me some trial and error.
That may be the narrative you're looking for?
I'll update the zopewiki page with a reference to that doc.

Looks like that file is shipped with Zope 2.10.0 and 2.9.5,
but it wasn't in 2.9.4.  I haven't been living on the bleeding
edge lately so I didn't see it.

Yup, the narrative I was missing is here:
http://svn.zope.org/zope.testing/trunk/src/zope/testing/testrunner-layers-api.txt?rev=70271&view=auto

I guess it's time for me to move to a newer zope.testing ;-)

cheers,

Chris

           - http://www.simplistix.co.uk