Fred Drake wrote:
On 2/5/07, Baiju M <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I have created zope.app egg two weeks back
(http://svn.zope.org/zope.app/trunk/)
I have used setuptools.find_packages function, so setuptools is a
dependency.
Should we need compatibility with distutils.core ?

I suspect it's fine ok for an egg-supporting setup.py to depend on
setuptools, though I'm wary of dependencies outside the Python
standard library and our own code for basics.  Using zc.buildout
ensures setuptools is part of a buildout anyway, so I'll get over my
own little hangup pretty quickly.

An egg should only *depend* on setuptools if it uses things like pkg_resources (e.g. for namespace packages). In that case even zc.buildout yells at you for not depending on setuptools:

  zc.buildout.easy_install: Develop distribution for kss.core
  0.1dev-r37968 uses namespace packages but the distribution does not
  require setuptools.

That setuptools are required for *building* an egg goes without question.

Next Zope 3 training at Camp5: http://trizpug.org/boot-camp/camp5