On 26 Apr 2007, at 09:27 , Christian Theune wrote:

Am Donnerstag, den 26.04.2007, 08:40 +0200 schrieb Philipp von
Weitershausen:
Christian Zagrodnick wrote:
now there those wonderful eggs for Zope 3. Apart from the permission
problem we ran into lately there is another one with those eggs:

The dependencies aren't set right.

Apparently nobody every ran the tests of those eggs. This is no wonder. When developing you need to checkout Zope 3 instead of the egg source. The Zope 3 tests would pass of course since everything is in place there.

I think we should move the actual code to the eggs as soon as possible and put the externals into the Zope 3 source. Otherwise nobody ever will
run the egg tests.

Also we need to take care of depending on certain versions. For instance
zope.location required a recent version of zope.proxy (>3.3).

I personally don't like these "exclusive dependencies" that say what you
don't want. I'd rather spell it out as what I want. I think this
dependency should ready >=3.4.

Well. This depends. If you want to enable eggs to work against unstable
releases then you need to do >3.3, because:

3.3 < 3.4dev < 3.4a < 3.4(.0)

Maybe, but:

  3.3 < 3.3.1 < 3.4dev etc.

So if you just specify ">3.3", 3.3.1 would satisfy this as well.

And it's
definitely better to say "I need >3.3 but can't find it" during buildout than "zope.proxy has no module named decorator" somewhere when starting
the application.

Agreed.

So, how do we get out of this? :)

+1 on requiring running tests of individual projects

Perhaps we could also automate this using a buildbot...

*yikes*

I'm not very fond of buildbot at the moment as it seems extremely
fragile. In this case I'm more worried about the tests getting run *at
all* than managing to run them on multiple machines.

Lightweight administration is the key to this problem IMHO.

Yup. Low bar for contribution, too.