On Jul 20, 2007, at 5:27 AM, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:

Marius Gedminas wrote:
doctests have special rules for exceptions that are different from the
rules of normal output matching.
If a statement raises an exception, the output part must be of the form
  Traceback (most recent call last):
  <exception type>: <exception value>
You can use ellipsis in the exception value part, IIRC.

But I wouldn't recommend using them. Sometimes, using ellipses are fine, but generally they obfuscate the doctest when you're reading it. I suggesting using the regex-normalizer [1]. There are many packages out there that use it if you're looking for examples.

http://svn.zope.org/zope.testing/trunk/src/zope/testing/ renormalizing.py?rev=66267&view=auto

BTW, a small useful easy project that I don't have time for would be to generalize the renormalizer to allow other objects besides regexes.

You now give this a sequences of regex/replacement pairs.

It would be nice to allow callables in addition to regexs. Basically, allow items in the sequence to be either:

- a regex+replacement tuple, or

- a callable transformer that reads the text and returns new text.

While regexs and replacements are very powerful, there've been times when I wanted the full generality of Python. I ended up subclassing the renormalizer in these cases, but would have preferred not to have had to do so.

Jim

Powered!
CTO                             (540) 361-1714
http://www.python.org