Dieter Maurer wrote:
Martijn Faassen wrote at 2007-9-25 19:57 +0200:
If you choose for flexibility first, people will need to think about
versions all the time.

I follow Tres argumentation: somehow the Linux distributors
have this problem mostly solved:

While I don't dispute we should look at package management systems, they don't have *our* problems exactly solved. I have 20 different buildouts installed, which may or may use the same pool of eggs, and may use different versions of the same package. I am the one who wants to have the final say in what versions of packages. I want to use. A linux distributor needs to have one working set of packages, instead.

  Standard distributions come with a set of known working components
  and quite weak dependancy declarations.

  When I install additional components, I will be told about
  potential conflicts (based on the weak dependancies) and
  asked what to do (install nevertheless, upgrade more things to
  get dependancies right or abort).

  Usually, I do not have to worry about versions -- only
  occationally (when I see conflict lists) or even more rarely,
  when something breaks even though there has not been a conflict.

A linux distribution, unless you're on debian unstable, has quite a strict control over what packages enter a common pool. They do not release a newer version of a library unless they know the software that depends on it either works or can be upgraded to it.

We have a situation where we have developers, not maintainers, uploading new versions of packages. There will be no integrated testing done for all software built on all packages in the cheeseshop. Again, I can see similarities, but I don't believe linux distributions have *exactly* our problems solved. Our buildouts are used as development environments, not only deployment environments.

We currently made bad experiences with weak dependancies.

I see several reasons for this:

  *  not yet ready distributions (insufficiently tested,
     alpha quality) have been uploaded to PyPI

     We are now aware that we must not do things like this

Better diligence here would help. It would help me most as a framework developer developing the framework - I can upgrade to newer versions of my dependencies without so much stuff breaking.

  *  installation tools have prefered newer versions over
     older ones, even when the newer versions were development/alpha
     while the older ones have been stable

     The tools meanwhile have changed and stick preferably to
     stable versions

Sticking to stable versions helps, until a new stable version is released. Then all the old stuff suddenly starts using the *new* stable version, and probably break.

  *  The installation tools work incrementally with dependancies
     rather than based on a global dependancy graph.

     This is not yet changed.

Maybe, our bad experience are drastically reduced when the above
reasons are taken care of -- even with weak dependancies?

I used to believe that, but after seeing Grok 0.10 break once or twice *every* week for the last month, I don't believe it anymore. We're talking about the same release, breaking over and over again as something goes wrong with some egg somewhere. I want these dependencies pinned down hard. That said, I believe there are ways to solve these problems without hardcoding them in install_requires. I hope we can have the benefits of weak dependencies while having the safetly of hardcoded ones. See here:

http://faassen.n--tree.net/blog/view/weblog/2007/09/26/0

Regards,

Martijn