On Nov 19, 2007, at 2:52 PM, Tres Seaver wrote:

Jim Fulton wrote:
On Nov 19, 2007, at 9:54 AM, Tres Seaver wrote:
It's a limitation of buildout, perhaps.  It is possible to use
setuptools with multiple indexes: 'compoze' allows spelling multiple
'-index-url' items on the command line.  E.g.::

I'm curious what API you're using.

buildout uses setuptools.package_index.PackageIndex.  This only
accepts a single index URL.  Of course, I could create multiple index
instances, use each one and merge the results.  Is that what you're
doing?

Yes.

Hm, OK. Does this let you search multiple indexes for the same package? I assume so.

I consider this to me moving beyond setuptools. I'm not saying that this is necessarily bad.

I imagine it would be pretty simple to add a per-package override to
buildout.cfg which caused a separate index to be used to fetch a given
distribution.

You can already do this with the egg recipe:

  http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zc.recipe.egg#detailed-documentation

This still only lets you search a single index when looking for a distributions to use to satisfy a set of requirements.

buildout could be expanded to search multiple indexes, using the technique you seem to be using in compoze. This makes me uneasy as it seem to be moving far beyond easy_install, if not setuptools. It is my goal that buildout be "compatible" with easy install, in some sense.

--
Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation