The form="a" and its input field="custid" is being validated, when the alert message box came out then i clicked on the 'OK' button which is inside the alert message box, but it return to another page instead return to form="a".
( I prefer to use 'onClick' instead of 'onSubmit' )

The following is my JavaScript validation function:-

function checkid()
{
if(document.a.custid.value==""&&document.a.custname.value=="")
{
alert("You must specify string character either in customer id or customer name.")
document.a.custid.focus();
return false;
}
}

The form events:-

<input type="SUBMIT" name="Search" value="Search" >