I don't understand this.  Would you point out the relevant documentation
or source code?  As it is, portlet_folder_contents is a hack and
probably only suitable for small folders.  In my case, I intended to use
it to create a small box of links (no more than five or six), without
having to go to the ZMI all the time to change the portlet's contents.

Best wishes,
Matthew