Rob,
As others have pointed out the approach you indicate will not work.
To summarize -
Write python script to dynamically create JAVASCRIPT code (you can format javascript arrays of data from your db this way).
Then, using TAL load it in, eg
<head>
<tal:js replace="structure here/python/pythonThatCreatedJavaScript">javascript here</tal:js>
</head>

Which is then callable from the other javascript routines in your page.

David

Rob Boyd wrote:

I'm stuck this, and would appreciate help or pointers.

I have a form with 2 selection drop-downs. I want the user's choice of
select 1 to drive the options displayed in select 2. When the user
makes a selection in select 1, onChange calls a Javascript function
that should write select 2 options based on the result of a call to a
Python script, passing the select 1 choice as an argument to the Python
script.

But: I cannot get the Javascript var into the namespace that the TALES
expression knows about.

Example:

<script>
function makeDropDown() {
 var widget = document.getElementById('select1');
 var choice = widget.options[widget.selectedIndex].value;
 var data = [result of calling Python script 'foo(arg)' with
arg=choice]
 // create options for select 2
}
</script>
[various html...]
<select id="select1" onChange="makeDropDown()">
[options...]
</select>

I've tried with multiple scripts, where one has tal:content=... but
cannot figure out how the TALES expression can get at what my
javascript gets from an event. I haven't done much with JavaScript
inside Page Templates, so perhaps I'm going about this all wrong.

TIA,
Rob