michael nt milne wrote:
Ok, thanks. Yes, Apache would be much better to route traffic through.
And also it looks like a complete pain to try and route traffic
through IIS.

That's my understanding. You can either look up the ASP404 hack or use something like http://www.enfoldsystems.com/Products/EEP

Is Apache for windows good? I only have experience of it
on UNIX>

I last ran Apache on Windows back when it was 1.something. It still had a "be careful on Windows" notice, in fact. I didn't have any problems, but then I wasn't using it very hard. I would assume it's gotten better.

Since I am not expecting very high traffic for my site at first I am
going to use the Zope server at first. My head is hurting too much
just now!

Apache is useful for keeping maliciously formed requests and other junk away from Zope. ZServer is capable, but Apache is much more serious. Running Zope exposed to the public network is not the best idea in the world, though you can get away with it.

By the way do you have any experience of altering the zope database or
adding fields to the registration process on Plone etc? Seems a wee
bit tricky and a client wants extra fields etc.

See CMFMember. Also, ther's a howto on plone.org about this. There's about four places you have to touch, but it's not such a big deal.

                --jcc
--
"Building Websites with Plone"
http://plonebook.packtpub.com/