Hi David. I would recommend at the blob product. I have been using it with success in CMF. I would consider it a starting point for where you may want to take it. If you are looking for something already developed and ready to go, I would recommend ATManagedFile from Enfold if you plan on using Plone. It can do a great job of managing files on the filesystem where your objects also behave as proper citizens in zope. It is subclassed from ExternalFile and CMFManagedFile. I contributed documentation for it a while back and it also worked nicely. Hope that helps.

Regards,
David