As an aside, we find management of ZEO clients much easier if each ZEO
client of a particular system shares the same products and external
methods via an NFS share. That way we can untar one product and push it
out to all of the clients simultaneously.

I'd be a little afraid of creating a single point of failure with NFS. I have used setups like that before, but personally prefer some simple distribution mechanism instead.

If you use CVS or SVN for your software you could write simple SSH scripts to visit hosts and do a cvs/svn up in the right place and then restart the clients. rsync is a good candidate as well.

jens