Chris Withers wrote:

Have a look at the ZSQL methods code, I remember this being pretty old and convoluted :-(

Ok, thanks! I take a look.

Well, i am running zope under root privileges in "read-only" mode.

What does this mean?

I am opening the ZODB in read-only, using the appropriate parameter in the conf file.

What are you seeking to do or prevent?

I want a number of external methods to run with "root" privileges for performing specific tasks (older thread, "root privileges required", 27/7/2004)

If there is a Zope break-in,

What does that mean?

I think of it as a break-in in the ZMI.

i want to minimize interference with the database.

Which database?

I use a MySQL database for storing some info.

Also, since this will be a commercial product, keeping most of the code in compiled python scripts is meaningful.

As Jens already explained, .pyc's and pyo's can be decompiled in a matter of minutes, so you're getting nothing for this worry other than finding debugging a pain ;-)

Yes, i fully understand the disadvantages, but i have dealt with the debugging with some custom exception handling/tracing. And, believe me, i don't have illusions about the secrecy offered by compiled python scripts. :-)