All,

I've just installed TextIndexNG2. I created a TextIndexNG2 index called PrincipiaSearchSource in my Catalog. In the converters tab for this index, I see this:
Mime-Types Description depends on
application/pdf Adobe Acrobat PDF pdftotext
application/vnd.sun.xml.writer OpenOffice
text/html Converter HTML to ASCII
text/plain Null converter
text/sgml, text/xml Converter SGML to ASCII

Why do none of the typical Microsoft converters show up in the above table? This is on a Linux box and I'm not sure if things like wvWare are installed (eg. for converting and indexing msword files). I can index a pdf file object no problem, but word docs are ignored - they catalogged but their text/content doesn't get indexed.

The converters shows this on my Win2K machine for the same converters tab:
application/msexcel, application/ms-excel, application/vnd.ms-excel    Microsoft Excel    xls2csv
application/mspowerpoint, application/ms-powerpoint, application/vnd.ms-powerpoint  Microsoft PowerPoint  pptHtml
application/msword, application/ms-word, application/vnd.ms-word  Microsoft Word  wvWare
application/pdf  Adobe Acrobat PDF  pdftotext
application/postscript  Adobe Postscript Document  ps2ascii
application/vnd.sun.xml.writer  OpenOffice
text/html  Converter HTML to ASCII
text/plain  Null converter
text/sgml, text/xml  Converter SGML to ASCII

It shows all of the microsoft converters. I don't have the dependencies installed on this machine so  I know the actual index won't work. I'm just curious as to why the two converter listings I've provided are different.

Thanks,
Tom Palermo