This is untested, but it's a pretty familiar idiom to me at the moment.

<dtml-in selectmoduleinfoMethod prefix="dbmodlevel">
    <dtml-call "REQUEST.set('dbmodlevel', dbmodlevel_item)">
</dtml-in>
<select name="MODLEVEL">
<dtml-in "range(1, 8)" prefix="modlevel">
<option<dtml-if expr="modlevel_item == dbmodlevel"> selected="selected"</dtml-if>><dtml-var modlevel_item></option>
</dtml-in>
</select>

Cheers,
-Andrew