Would some IE users please let me know whether they can view this PDF
normally?

   http://web2.xrsnet.com/publicstore/download?filename=print.pdf&password=foo

Any speculation about what might be causing this is extremely welcome.  I'm
*not* looking forward to rolling back to 2.8.x (and Python 2.3) at this
point.

I am running IE7 beta 3 -- on my machine the pdf file seems to load --
so no content disposition problem but there are messages about missing
fonts from the PDF reader *7.0.8 btw) -- no real information is
displayed so I am guessing this is "abnormal" by your definition.