--On 22. August 2008 10:35:18 -0700 David Bear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

You are correct, there are higher level protocols. However, since I was
only thinking of using python processes, I thought I could simplify the
whole design by just passing pickles. No need to parse an xml object, use
fast cpickle module.

I doubt that you have real reasons for reinventing the wheel. Look at Jankos posting and take one of the existing solutions. They are likely more suitable, more functional and better suited that any of your hand-crafted code.

-aj