Zorba is actually able to make https requests by default on Windows now,
I'm nearly sure. I believe this may have been done internally by de-
activating curl's default "verify peer certificates" behaviour. There is
a separate bug, bug 867136, which tracks making this a runtime option
instead of a compile-time option.

Rodolfo, if you can verify that this is working by default and that my
diagnosis about curl is correct, then you can resolve this bug.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/866886

Title:
  Zorba for Windows cannot make HTTPS requests

Status in Zorba - The XQuery Processor:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  We just discovered that under Windows, making requests to:
  https://api-3t.sandbox.paypal.com/nvp
  or
  https://www.credit-suisse.com

  using the http-client, one gets back a response with status -1.

  The command line Curl tool on Windows also reject such calls because
  it cannot verify the certificates, reporting:

  curl: (60) SSL certificate problem, verify that the CA cert is OK. Details:
  error:14090086:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate verify
failed
  More details here: http://curl.haxx.se/docs/sslcerts.html

  curl performs SSL certificate verification by default, using a "bundle"
   of Certificate Authority (CA) public keys (CA certs). If the default
   bundle file isn't adequate, you can specify an alternate file
   using the --cacert option.
  If this HTTPS server uses a certificate signed by a CA represented in
   the bundle, the certificate verification probably failed due to a
   problem with the certificate (it might be expired, or the name might
   not match the domain name in the URL).
  If you'd like to turn off curl's verification of the certificate, use
   the -k (or --insecure) option.