I think that the existing code could lead the tree structure (attribute/element
types) to an inconsistent state that led to windows crashes. As far as I can
remember, it was originally because of QName comparison using == instead of
equals.

This merge proposal (i) brings more encapsulation to the node/tree classes by
enforcing some invariants on accessible states w.r.t. types (in debug mode) to
be on the safe side and (ii) fixes the code so that these invariants always
hold outside of the type-handling functions. In particular, invariants should
hold before and after calling setTree, so that the the consumer of this
function does not need to worry about it.
--
https://code.launchpad.net/~zorba-coders/zorba/bug-971782/+merge/100788