Krystian Nowak wrote:
> Do you think it is possible to include DACS (http://dacs.dss.ca/) as a
> authentication adapter (just as it is with Yale's CAS)? There were talks
> about the future of authorization in OSS GIS GeoServer
> (http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOS/Home) which heavily uses Spring,
> so it would be natural to use Acegi. On the other hand there is an Open
> Geospatial Consortium (OGC) standardising organisation for GIS software
> and one of their implementation for security used in demos is DACS. The
> problem is that DACS is native application whereas the GeoServer is a
> Java webapp.
>
> Maybe you have some ideas or already have head about works between DACS
> and Acegi? Do you find it possible to integrate in any scope (just
> authentication or maybe even more - to simulate DACS-like authorization
> using Acegi)?
>
> Below there is an email on these talks. If it's not clear for you,
> please, do not hesitate to ask questions to make it more informative.

Hi

There are no efforts underway to provide a DACS authentication adapter.

Nevertheless, Acegi Security is very flexible in what it will accept for
authentication. So I see no reason we couldn't use DACS for authentication.

The issue touched upon at the bottom of the email is perhaps the most
important issue for your project to address, namely which target
platform does OSS GIS GeoServer plan on using. As your project is
Java-based, it would make some sense to use Acegi Security with perhaps
a nice simple out-of-the-box and platform-portable default
authentication mechanism such as JDBC or similar. Then also ship a DACS
adapter so system evaluators can see that you support the OGC standard.

cheers