Number 3 above is generally the pattern followed in Acegi...

private StatelessTicketCache statelessTicketCache = new
NullStatelessTicketCache();

...with a setter for it defining a custom implementation.

I don't think that would be a big deal to change, though I'm unsure of
it's role in the CAS stuff. I've never used our CAS support :)