It seems to me that the the suggestion with

http://user:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/foo.html

only works, if the server returns a 403 status code ??

i'm not quite sure if the order of my filter chain is important.
...authenticationProcessingFilter,basicProcessingFilter ...

How can I enforce basic authentication ?

I would expect the browser to bring up a popup window, asking me for the
username/password, but it always shows the login screen ?

If I use the wget command, the username/password will be sent in the http
header and everything works fine.
The solution above does only work - i suppose - if the server enforces
basic authetication by returning a 403 which would bring up the
popup dialog.

Regards,
Dirk