On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 8:11 AM, Al Sutton <a...@funkyandroid.com> wrote:
> John has a very popular app which he keeps stats on. Last I hear he
> was about to break the half million download mark and was clocking up
> around 5,000 downloads a day.

Bear in mind, though, that his app will be much more popular in the US
(AFAIK, "Radar Now" only shows radar images for the US). If you click
on his usage map, he only shows usage in the US. His stats will not
completely line up with those from the Android Market, simply because
they are polling different sets of users.

That being said, I generally agree with the "just say no" position
regarding the G1 as a test device.

I do not recommend that you use devices that have not passed the CTS
as your one-and-only test device unless you are specifically writing
for that device. That would include:

-- devices that never had the Market (e.g., ARCHOS 5 Android tablet)

-- devices running modded ROMs that have not demonstrated that the
mods pass the CTS (and I have no idea which modders do this analysis,
let alone the results)

-- rooted devices that were not intended as having user-installable
applications (e.g., nook)

Using such devices as a personal device is fine, and using one as a
device in a larger fleet of test devices is fine. And having such a
device because that is your specific target (e.g., apps compatible
with the nook's dual-screen setup) is fine.

Which device is the best to use will vary by country, based on the
availability of new and pre-owned devices, and so it is difficult to
say conclusively what is "best" globally (see the US vs. UK pricing
differences cited earlier in this thread). However, even if the G1 is
substantially less expensive than a 2.x-capable model, the G1's
relevance with official ROMs is fading fast, forcing the developer to
then have to buy a *second* device to stay current on CTS-compliant
devices.

If there are 2.x G1 ROMs that are demonstrably CTS-compliant, then my
concerns would tend to fall away. A JIT-enabled 2.2 G1 ROM that was
CTS-compliant might truly be the best answer -- lower price plus
possibly-acceptable speed. But CTS compliance is pretty damn
important, IMHO.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

_The Busy Coder's Guide to Android Development_ Version 3.1 Available!