There's a lot to consider here,

First up, you could do with figuring out the rates at which Exim is dumping mail into the queue then throttling it using Exim to see if the problem goes away. That way you'll know whether it is a problem with the rate or the number/type of email. Look at things like smtp_accept_max or maybe queue_smtp_domains to make deliveries go through the queue rather than open up a new SMTP thread for every message.

Size of email and encoding/attachments will likely make things take longer.

Secondly, you need to use debugging to find out if something is happening that is causing ASSP to take a long time to handle messages.

Thirdly, resources. I've a max of 112 concurrent connections showing on the stats page though it is only 43 since last restart on Sunday so the general average is lower. I have two VMs running Ubuntu with 16 vCPUs. 12GB on the primary and 16GB on the secondary as this runs the rebuild. MySQL is a separate machine again with 16 vCPUs and 8GB ram.

So ASSP can easily handle the througput you're looking at and more, you need to look for bottlenecks and other errors. The actual issue will have ocurred at least 30s before the logs you have posted at 08:27:17 as that is when the timeout counter started that expired at 08:27:47.

"Cannot pack NaN" makes me suspicious as well for the usual - check all perl modules and ancillary files are up to date as well as the main assp.pl. Something isn't right.

Then there's the another question about the config. Is there a particular reason the Exim server needs to run through ASSP? All my servers accept email then hand off to Exim for delivery. There are plenty of servers that use ASSP as a smart host, but I'd question putting a server that dumps mail like that through. The reason for that is to think about the types of emails and the effect on the corpus. If you're dumping a mailing list through then you're going to affect the bayes/hmm database. You could redlist but then why waste the resources and not just have Exim send direct?

I know it's been a week or so since you posted, hopefully you've done some or all of that by now as it is fairly standard troubleshooting rather than anything specific to ASSP. If you've confirmed your setup is in order and can pull some logs that show ASSP actually causing a problem then that's what the list is for.

All the best,
Colin.