I've previously read the RFC's and I think I understand them.  I've read
through the Mail::DKIM documentation, and paid especially close attention
to:
http://search.cpan.org/~mbradshaw/Mail-DKIM-0.42/lib/Mail/DKIM/Signature.pm#identity()_-_get_or_set_the_signing_identity_(i=)_field
I understand what you're validating.

Remember how last month you told me to stop asking about DKIMNP / DKIMWL
because it wasn't possible, but I kept asking, and you found a way and now
it benefits it all?  Well, I think my persistence here could net the same
result, so I'll ask once more, with respect  can you take a second and
explain your reasoning for not having ASSP look to the domain field?
You're the expert here, there has to be a reason, I just don't know what it
is, so please give me an explanation other than simply saying that ASSP
only uses DKIM.pm's identity function (which as I'm reading it does do
anything if there's no i=).

I understand that ASSP uses signature->identity, I've seen in the code and
you've said that is uses the signature's identity.  I get it.  But why
doesn't it also look at the signature's domain?
$signature->domain().
http://search.cpan.org/~mbradshaw/Mail-DKIM-0.42/lib/Mail/DKIM/Signature.pm#domain()_-_get_or_set_the_domain_(d=)_field

mail::dkim supports it.  d= is required.  i= is optional.  75% of signed
mail that I've seen inbound only has d=.

I hope I've made my reasoning for wanting this clear in the previous
messages, but I can give more examples if you need.  I just don't see why
we wouldn't want at least the option to have ASSP also look to the
signature domain entry as a way of validating for that 75% of the time that
the signature identity (i= line) isn't there.   Wouldn't what I'm proposing
give us a way to WL or NP this mail with reliability?

I could probably hack something together to consider this, but my ugly
coding has no place in your masterpiece.  I'm at your mercy.

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 10:44 AM, Thomas Eckardt <thomas.ecka...@thockar.com