> However, one must begin with a literal understanding of a word (one may
even
> find it necessary to repair to a dictionary).  One must also begin with
> fundamental principles.  It is, I think, better to adhere to plain
meanings,
> dictionary definitions and fundamental principles rather than step into
the
> unknown world of the concepts of another human being who will be judged by
> the same God.

I agree that one needs to start with the plain, literal meanings; however, I
think that these are simply the first steps for greater understanding,
within the framework given by the Manifestations.  One of Paul's statements
that I can actually cite by chapter and verse (like many Christians know
John 3:16) is II Corinthians 3:6 where God ". . . hath made us able
ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for
the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life."

I think that the ability to "minister"  and understand the spirit comes with
believers who live the principles of the spirit--love, joy, humility,
justice, obedience to God's laws, etcetera.  It is way too easy to get
caught up in the "letter", whether in a literal meaning or esoteric
interpretation.  In whatever measure, the opposite characteristics--ego,
vanity, selfishness, fear, greed and hatred--can lead to misinterpretations
of scripture whenever they are included (knowingly or unknowingly) in the
evaluation.

Baha'u'llah also wrote that "Whoso interpreteth what hath been sent down
from the heaven of Revelation, and altereth its evident meaning, he, verily,
is of them that have perverted the Sublime Word of God, and is of the lost
ones in the Lucid Book. (ESW, p. 129)  In other words, we can't ignore
obvious meanings.

One literal statement in Baha'u'llah's writings comes to mind.  I have seen
it used on a non-Baha'i web site to say that Baha'u'llah is scientifically
wrong and therefore can't be a Manifestation.  The statement is: "For
instance, consider the substance of copper. Were it to be protected in its
own mine from becoming solidified, it would, within the space of seventy
years, attain to the state of gold."  (Iqan, p. 157)

One could argue for a long time about whether or not this might be literally
possible, but there is already a spiritual solution to this in the Holy
Writings that requires little interpretation and (at least in my opinion)
has much greater import and significance.  Baha'u'llah compared a man to "a
mine rich in gems of inestimable value." (Tablets of Baha'u'llah, p. 161)
So clearly, it could be a logical step to take this concept to a 70 year
life span of a man, and the transformative power that can be found in the
protection of God's teachings during this life span.  In context, in the
previous paragraph He is talking about the "Divine Elixir".  This can also
be reinforced by the historic and theological context in which He made the
statement.  Rumi, who Baha'u'llah validated through references in works such
as the Seven Valleys, wrote of men that :

"Inside they are precious pearls, big and little.
These men also resemble the musk deer's bag;
Outside it is blood, but inside pure musk;
Yet, say not that outside 'twas mere blood,
Which on entering the bag becomes musk.
Nor say that outside the alembic 'twas mere copper,
And becomes gold inside, when mixed with elixir."

 (The Mathnavi, Vol. 1)

This is completely consistent with (and provides precedent for)
Baha'u'llah's teaching about copper to gold in the Iqan.  This can be taken
even further in that the "Choice sealed wine shall be given them to quaff,
The seal of musk" of the Qur'an in Sura 83 (the Deceivers in Measure)
becomes in the Aqdas the unsealed, transformative "choice wine" that is no
"mere code of laws".

In my opinion, in the divine alchemy of the soul, the "spirit" and its
interpretations, as provided by the Manifestations, are of primary
importance, while literal interpretations, or interpretations for which
there is no basis in the Holy Writings (and ones that can lead to contention
and discord) are a distant second.

Patti